Sunday 22 November 2015

Experience at the SNAP Math Fair

My experience at the SNAP Math Fair on last Wednesday was memorable one that I will always look back at and reflect upon when or if organizing a Math fair in the future. It was a fortunate and unfortunate at the same time that I could only spend time with one of the groups presenting at the fair. I failed to walk around and stop by as many projects as I could in the given time, however, I spent all my time working with one set of girls presenting a problem on patterns and its relation with Fibonacci series.  

They had a set of blocks laid on the ground in a certain manner and the guest was supposed to flip it within the given number of moves. They had three different set of blocks which I was able to do fairly quickly. However, they had an extension to their problem which even they did not know the solution for. I decided to take on the challenge and started to work on the extension problem. Within minutes these two girls who were presenting the problem, got so interested in what I was trying to do that they decided to help me find the solution. I was trying to look for a pattern in the problem so that we could figure out the relation of this problem with Fibonacci series. These girls went beyond what they had in terms of supplies and used their shoes and my pen and my phone as additional number of boxes that they needed in order to find out a solution to a particular series. 

Unfortunately, I was not able to find a relation between the problem and the Fibonacci series but the whole experience with the girls trying to find the solution that I will remember for the rest of my life. I was able to build a relationship with the girls bu the end of the session that they wanted to take my contact number in case I come up with a solution so I can keep them updated on that. I told them that I will get in touch with their teacher in case I come up with a solution. Overall, it was a great experience to be able to connect with these two girls and have them so interested in doing Math.  

No comments:

Post a Comment